World History International: On This Day In History: "* 1910 Cape of Good Hope becomes part of Union of South Africa
* 1910 Union of South Africa declares independence from UK
* 1912 US marines land on Cuba
* 1913 17th amendment (direct election of senators) declared ratified"
* 1916 Battle of Skagerrak: Brit-German sea battle at Jutland (10,000 dead)
* 1916 British battle cruiser Invincible explodes, killing all but 6
1921 Suffy McInnis (1st base) begins an errorless string of 1,700
* 1923 China & USSR exchange diplomats
* 1926 Portuguese president Bernardino Machedo resigns after coup
* 1927 Ford Motor Company produces last "Tin Lizzie" (begins Model A)
* 1927 Tiger 1st baseman Johnny Neun makes an unassisted triple play
* 1928 1st aerial cross of Pacific takes off from Oakland
* 1935 Babe Ruth grounds out in his final at bat
* 1935 Quake kills 50,000 in Quetta Pakistan
* 1937 1st quadruplets to finish college (Baylor University)
* 1937 Bkln Dodgers snap NY Giant Carl Hubbell's 24-game winning streak
* 1937 German battleships bomb Almeria Spain
* 1941 British troops vacate Kreta
* 1941 German occupiers forbids Jews access to beach & swimming pools
* 1942 25th PGA Championship: Sam Snead at Seaview CC Atlantic City NJ
* 1942 Luftwaffe bombs Canterbury
* 1943 "Archie" comic strip 1st broadcast on radio
* 1943 Cards Mort Cooper pitches 1st of back-to-back one-hitters
* 1944 Allied breakthrough in Italy
All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.* 1947 Communists grab power in Hungary
Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html#ixzz1Nytl66GJ
* 1955 Great Britain proclaims emergency crisis due to railroad strike
* 1955 Supreme Court orders school integration "with all deliberate speed"
* 1956 Mickey Mantle HR just misses clearing Yankee Stadium's roof
* 1961 Chuck Berry's amusement park, Berryland in St Louis, opens
* 1961 JFK visits Charles de Gaulle in Paris
* 1961 Judge Irving Kaufman orders Board of Ed of New Rochelle, to integrate
* 1961 Union of South Africa becomes a republic, leaves Commonwealth
* 1962 "Tell It To Groucho" last airs on CBS-TV
* 1964 Charles Schmid kills first Pied Piper victim
As we advance in life it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed.
Vincent Van Gogh
* 1969 "Gitarzan" by Ray Stevens peaks at #8
* 1969 John Lennon & Yoko Ono record "Give Peace a Chance"
* 1969 Stevie Wonder releases "My Cherie Amore"
* 1974 Israel & Syria sign an agreement concerning Golan Heights